Aug 12, 2019
On this episode of Clienting, Gyi and Kelly answer former guest
Rob Schenk's questions on journalist outreach, HARO, and
- The first rule of journalist outreach- you have to have a
- When doing outreach, the creative aspect is super important-
don't make a journalist have to work for the story, give it to
- Journalists are people too- they want to know that you have
more to offer than "I'm a lawyer and have things to say." Engage
with them over time, "I'm here to help you cover this issue."
- Demonstrate expertise by showcasing examples from your
- Have a few outreach templates for this, which you can easily
find in a Google search. Search for "PR Journalist Outreach
- Twitter: Search for subjects and people in your geographic
- Focus on local reporters that cover stories related to your
practice area and make sure they include your law firm website
and/or your name.
- Go where your audience is- if your audience is local, stick to
local or industry-specific.
- HARO - Help A
Reporter Out, is a network for reporters and sources to find one
another. You can register yourself as an expert and seek out the
- Think about building a landing page for your lawyer outreach
and speaking bio. You could include links to articles and quotes
from articles here that you may not always want to, or be able to,
include on your law firm website.
- Make sure to include the source material, your quote, your
links, and everything needed for the article in your
- Use Mention and Google Alerts to keep track of
links and mentions where they may not link to you. Many sites now
have a no-link policy.
What matters? The format, the speakers, and you. Are you
participating? Who are the speakers? What are the topics? What is
the format? Workshops allow you more engagement with the experts,
so if you want to dive in, focus on those.
- Legal Conferences:
- Marketing Conferences: Get outside of legal if you really want
to learn marketing. You only get a legal perspective from a legal
If you want to learn something, go on the internet. If you also
want to meet people, have more engagement, create a referral
network- go to a conference.